Friday, July 5, 2013

Expectations and biased opinions interrupt the learning experience-


Sharecropper’s 2010 Cabernet Sauvignon by Owen Roe, Washington State ($20ish)- I was handed this bottle by a wine rep to take home and experience. It was a crazy Monday, July 1, preparing for the 4th and all the tourists that join the Newport community during the holidays. Shelving huge deliveries, packing our Wine of the Month Club members’ cases and pulling wine notes and pairings can be quite tedious to the point where I feel like the stallion racing with only the finish line in sight- blinders on. While running around, I was handed a bottle to make love to that evening. Just me and the wine; My favorite way to judge create opinions.

This is a good segway; I got the title of this writing from going on a date. I have been doing research on some Scotch- a subject I know only of the basics. We are ordering a few to re-do our scotch list here at the shop. I come into work a couple mornings ago and my boss says, “hey, it’s time to get those Scotches.” To which I am obviously excited about- new stuff!!! Well, a few hours later I meet this cute blondie with whom I ask a few questions to learn she works the Scottish Government. !!! I’m no dummy. What’s the next thing I talk about? Scotch. She was in. 

Well, the date didn’t go as I wished- well, it did, but it didn’t. Tasted Scotches I've never had before. So, what is it I wish? More connection? Probably some selfish attention. I may have anticipated something unreal. The click? We parted ways and as I walk home, the question I kept asking myself was, “well, what did I expect?” I mean, I was tired, it was a long day. It is a high-stress week of the fourth of July. Many variables. And I am always trying to learn from it; about myself and others and how we communicate and connect. So I default to making it a learning experience, looking at my feelings objectively. 

In that thought of expectations and the whole situation, I was reminded of this fantastic and over-delivering Cabernet I had a night before called “Sharecropper’s”. The contrast of these two situations are revealed in the results. On both occasions I was tired, over-worked, and mellowed out. Yet, the fit, and results were juxtaposed. 

The simple label resembles brown paper bags with a simple font on front and donkey. Admittedly, I probably did that thing I hate and judged it just a little by it’s label. I wasn’t expecting much. I opened the bottle, put out some bread, cheese, and cherries, and sipped the wine. It was an immediate surprise- I think I was expecting something much heavier in weight and jammy fruit (I was expecting the Revelry Cab). But this wine is elegant; it completely seduced me. The color is dark with that raisin influence- not black. The wine in the mouth is full of flavor, rich, yet does not overwhelm the taste bud. This wine is dry without ripping your face off.  It does not weigh down, or over-stimulate, yet it keeps the taste buds light, fresh and free to experience it over and over again. It just wooed me into rest and relaxation.

When I think about Cabs in the summer and warmer weathers, this is what I look for. I look forward to offering this wine to our customers. 

With both of my own personal experiences, I am reminded that judging a book by it’s cover can mean absolutely nothing. What I thought most attractive doesn’t mean it will deliver exactly what I expect. Yet, sometimes what is simple will unexpectedly knock you off your feet. 

Cheers. 

2 comments:

  1. Amen Brother. On both the women and the wine. The funny thing about me, is that flashy labels turn me off big time, to the point that I have to try hard not to hold it against the wine. I guess the same can be said for the opposite sex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reference your visit often, especially when talking about le pergole torte. Cheers Eric.

      Delete