Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Building the Wine Palette

I am not formally trained in tasting wine properly; I come from the school of hard knocks! I understand that it is an important part of this wine tasting process to build the language of understanding and tasting wine through experience. Which basically means- taste more wine!

For me, I really have to sit in a place that is completely honest. It's funny to talk about, but I really try to mentally clear out a space in my head that can work out the flavors I am tasting. I will literally stand there and take a few deep breaths and clear out any thoughts from the outside world. Honesty is the best policy!

I will say I can sense how easy it is to be influenced by the sales rep. and labels and possibly even my biased opinion of what I think it might be like. For example, I really love good cabernet from California. Probably because thats where i cut my teeth in this wine tasting experience process as a service bartender at Capital Grille. My goodness, Starmont Merryvale Profile and Nickel Nickel Cabs and Merlots from early 2000's?! Cheeses, I'm spoiled. So when I see labels and wines that come from these areas I get all excited. BE CAREFUL, don't force yourself into liking the wine! I constantly remind myself of that: to be completely honest about what I taste and make notes. Then, I really like to listen to what others taste and reflect from the wine.

Through tongue and nostril you will experience notes and tastes that if you listen carefully can connect those to other tastes and experiences that you have had before. I'll go out on a limb and assume a high percentage had eaten a strawberry. The flavors from the berry hits certain parts of your tongue and mouth and your brain translates that for your body as pleasant, or not. and Boom, strawberry was just added to your reservoir of words that you actually taste and can see and know.

The difficult part comes when the tasting notes call for "forest floor" or "cigar box" or "brawny." I have seen it done that one should put dirt IN there mouth and spit it out to understand that soil-y, earth-y flavor some wines have. I'll leave you with this: check Gary Vaynerchuck, an other self-taught- Click Here.

Cheers.

4 comments:

  1. Gary Vee! He's helped me too.....I'm taking credit for 'showing' him to you!! Cali cabs? Did you ever tell me what you thought about that Ardente 04 cab? Please tell..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VIK!!! Can't wait for Friday!! I do remember the Ardente Cab! It was quite some time ago now, so I the best I can do is give my best remembrance. I will do so in my best research report style:

      The 2004 Ardente Cabernet Gran Reserva: In classic Cabernet tradition this wine delivers a powerful and flavorful juice that could be easily misunderstood. Expressing dark, ripe fruits like the classic black current and dark cherry and black raspberry, she is a joy to drink. I can remember the tannic structure being most interesting, expressing its true culture and climate. An elegant balance of dryness and fruit create a complex balance that requires one to give some pause for thought. It is not the typical Napa Jam you might expect out of California; rather, it express an elegant bigness, like that of a linebacker doing ballet.

      Delete
    2. And yes, You are the reason I know about Gary Vee!! Gotta meet that guy.

      Delete
  2. Very well said, and not enough of us take the time to taste dirt : )

    I find it to be very helpful to take the time to smell everything, from your dinner, to flowers when passing by and the different veneers on wood. It all builds the wine tasters vocabulary.

    It was nice meeting you today. Let me know when you're in NYC and we'll see if we can set something up. Welcome to the blogsphere! See you soon.

    ReplyDelete